Monday, December 7, 2009

I thank my God


The city of Philippi no longer exists. Where once, two thousand years go a busy metropolis and a lively Christian community flourished, now graze cattle. To this community which had proven itself a faithful supporter of Paul’s mission, Paul, now under house arrest, writes one of scripture’s most beautiful passagesFrank Anderson, a Missionary of the Sacred Heart, put this passage to music some years ago in an equally memorable and moving song, ‘I thank my God’.

Writes Paul: Brothers and sisters: I pray always with joy in my every prayer for all of you, because of your partnership for the gospel from the first day until now. I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work in you will continue to complete it until the day of Christ Jesus. God is my witness, how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus. And this is my prayer: that your love may increase ever more and more in knowledge and every kind of perception, to discern what is of value, so that you may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ (Philippians 1:4 – 6, 8 – 11).

Over the last couple of evenings I have listened with humility and perhaps some embarrassment to the words of my peers on the North West coast, and to members of my former boards of management as they made their formal farewells. Make no mistake, it is great to hear good words said about one’s self, but in the business of Catholic education it is all about the person and mission of Jesus. Without the Gospel, without fidelity to that Gospel, our efforts as Catholic educators is meaningless.

I am no St Paul, and certainly no saint. Here was a man driven by the deepest passion, by the deepest faith, to take the Gospel of Jesus to the then known world. We know that eventually he paid the full price of that passion. Paul, as you would gather from a brief viewing of his letters, took issue with many of the early communities, and he dealt with them by putting himself in the mind of Jesus: how would he respond, what would Jesus do? In other words he contextualized his responses. Undoubtedly, had he lived today, I suspect that he would have said and done things differently.

Our family friend Pam has packed her bags and has left for a 13 month stay at the School of St Jude in Tanzania working with Gemma Sisia, the school’s founder. Pam is a very experienced social worker and a former librarian, and it is her librarianship skills that Gemma has seized upon. Pam has a husband, children and grandchildren. These 13 months are her gift, to St Jude’s, to those in need, and those who need her. What she is doing is extraordinary.

You and I are not asked to got to the ends of the world, but what we are called to do is be thankful for what we have been blessed with, and thankful for those who do great work – in building up the Kingdom, or just making the world a better place for all.

This Sunday is the 2nd Sunday in Advent. Come and worship.

No comments: