Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Seeking Lent



We enter Lent marked on our foreheads with the sign of the cross, with ash that symbolises our humanity, our fleeting and transitory lives, declaring our dependence on God’s love. The psalmist expresses his absolute confidence in Psalm 91, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust’.

For centuries the rhythm of the seasons was reflected in the life of the church and its celebrations. The sparseness of winter leading to spring made the church’s season of Lent accessible, Christmas was celebrated on the old Roman winter solstice. In our world where food and drink remains plentiful the year round, it is difficult to make sense of these seasons or think beyond wrapped Christmas presents and chocolate eggs. The growing disconnectedness we have to the wax and wane of the four seasons is equally mirrored in our alienation from the church, from its religious, theological and liturgical language and actions.

Lent then can bring a new opportunity for you – even if it comprises stolen moments of quiet and reflection. But ask yourself:

  • What – right now – are my deepest needs?
  • Who and what are most important in my life?
  • How can I make myself more available to do the things that I ought to do?
  • Does the church in its wisdom and love have something to assist me?

No comments: