Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Giving is no yoke

I used to try so hard to be a good boy (and still do). I returned to my family home when I was 9 – having spent several years with grandparents. I had to find a place in the family hierarchy. When I left for my grandparents there were 4 children, when I returned there were 9. I had to be good, I thought, to be noticed. So I cooked, cleaned, mowed, studied and played so everyone would know what I good kid I was. I’m not quite sure of the machinations, but it worked.

There are many in our community who find it easy to be givers. They are joiners, workers at the coalface, volunteers. They’re in Vinnies, Apex, Lions, Rotary, Soroptomists, Red Cross. A friend has just returned from Fiji – on a building project. They do great things. They’re committed, they put in and they make a difference.

The kingdom of God requires labourers too. As Catholics we interpreted this as meaning priests and religious (brothers and sisters) alone. We have reclaimed our role. Many have laboured long and hard in the vineyard of the Lord. It strikes me, however, that many who have so laboured have made hard work of their calling. It has been a sacrifice, almost a divine imposition. ‘Why me?’

‘My yoke is easy and my burden light,’ said Jesus (Matt 11:30). My parents loved me and cared for me anyway. No more and no less. God will love those who are great mothers, great clerks, roadworkers, footballers, followers, friends and life partners. No more no less. Those who have worked longer and harder receive the same reward as those who have just begun (Matt 20:8ff) - the same as those who struggle with life, with their kids, their in-laws, shopping, just getting through a day. Yes, we need the movers and shakers – and we need those whose lives are reflective, we need thinkers, prayers, artists, creators, planners. Faith is not a burden, it is a gift of joy. We live it out in our own way, but none of us is greater than the other, we are all called to serve, to take up that yoke and carry our share of the burden.

No comments: